Saturday, April 25, 2009

Life seems so short



This is a clip of Bea Arthur and Angela Lansbury doing the "Bosom Buddies" act that they created in the show "Mame". The song, as the singers, have always been favorites of mine. These were beautiful women who dealt with the aging process with grace, retaining their feminity and beauty. They were funny, sharp, creative women who seemed to have it all. They were my role models. They were doing what I always wanted to do. Performing and having a wonderful time.

They are no more. Bea Arthur passed away today. She was 86 years old. That alone was an incredible shock to me. How could she be 86 years old, when in my mind she was somewhere in her early 60's.

My mother had a saying. She would turn to us and say "They could shoot me dead 6 times, but they will never kill me". I believed her. Her death was a double shock to me. The first for the obvious reason that she was my wonderful, beautiful, charismatic, and lively mother,,,and the other was that they did kill her. She was wrong.

I felt that way about Bea Arthur as well. She was an indomitable woman with strength and determination second to none. Just recently she was on stage here in South Florida and enchanting all who saw her. I missed that performance, but was eagerly awaiting the next one. There won't be a next one. I feel terrible. I shouldn't have been so cavalier about missing that performance.

There is a lesson to be learned here. I'm not sure exactly what it is and need to crystalize my thoughts. It will come to me, but until it does......
Rest in peace Bea Arthur....your admirers will miss you.

No comments: