Tuesday, August 26, 2008

What A Day!!!!!

Our day started out bright and early (well, maybe early, but not too bright) at 7:00 in the morning when we were due at the delegation breakfast. There were a lot of bleary eyed Floridians sitting there and getting our instructions for the day. We also received our goody bags with lots of fun things and our credentials for the day.

Everyone was exhausted and we knew that we had a very long day ahead of us so Florida trekked back to our rooms for naps. We were due at the bus at 1:30. This was tropical day and we all dressed in tropical themed clothing.

The thing that struck me the most was the security. Our bus had a police presence and all along the route to the Pepsi Center there were clutches of security people guarding our way. We had to be checked thoroughly to get in, but once we were in the complex, we entered Fairyland.

The first reporter to stop us came from Finland. We interviewed him as well as having him interview us. I noticed that even Al Jazeera had a presence at the convention. The Florida delegation was placed right in front of the stage. I am guessing that this was because of all the aggravation we were given before the convention.

The first order of business was the Rules report giving the Florida delegation full voting rights. The delegation exploded, singing and dancing, throwing beach balls all around and generally having a wonderful time. All the photographers and news groups were around us because we were definitely the most fun of all the delegations. I received six text messages from friends who had seen me on television.

There were lots of speeches and lots of celebrities, but the high points were definitely the speech given by Senator Ted Kennedy. There was not a dry eye in the place by the time he finished. Emotion ran high. It was an incredible moment.

The second high point was the speech by Michelle Obama. What a terrific lady this is. Her humanity shown through the speech and there were times where she almost lost her composure while talking about her late father and her love for her husband. She brought out her two daughters who were simply adorable.

My first convention day was not to be believed. Absolutely the best experience of my life, but quite frankly, if I don't sleep now, I might pass out at the computer.

More tomorrow

3 comments:

Vikki said...

You go girl! I've told everyone I know to look for you (the tall good-looking blond with the crazy hat). I told Glenn you must be having the time of your life. Enjoy! And I can't wait to hear more details when we next meet! xoxoxo

Lesa said...

Hi Ann! Our family was so excited to see you on tv. We were extremely touched both by Senator Kennedy and Michelle. Can't fathom what it must have been like to see it live. Enjoy! We are thrilled that you are having such a once in a lifetime experience! Lesa Parnham & Co.

Big Fire said...

Ann, great job! I really enjoy reading your updates. I agree completely, Senator Ted Kennedy was outstanding. Enjoy the convention, wish I was there!

http://www.firefightersforobama.com/