Wednesday, August 27, 2008

OMG WHAT A MORNING!!!!!

Usually our delegation breakfasts are tepid events. Most of the delegation members are creeping due to long night before. That is exactly the way that this breakfast started. When I came in I made it to my group very slowly and carefully, with my eyes half closed. I explained that mornings are not my finest hour and that they should just ignore my presence. I went to the buffet and filled up on extra coffee prepared to sleep at my table with my eyes wide open.

Our first speaker was Senator Bob Graham who is a favorite son in Florida. We all know both Bob and his family, they stay at the hotel with us and travel the delegation bus. This was definitely not a high point and I continued sleepwalking.

The next speaker woke me up in spades. That really cool guy from Montana, Governor Brian Schweitzer came up to the podium and within 5 minutes, we were all up on our feel screaming and cheering. This man is the least politician like person I ever met. Dressed down in jeans and a string tie, he spoke our language or should I say screamed our language. Whatever he did, it was fabulously effective and he woke up the Florida delegation.

Right after the Governor, Rick Minor, who is the Dem chair of Leon County came up to the mike. Rick called his girlfriend up to stand with him. With the entire group watching, he got down on his knees, proposed and gave her a ring. Not a dry eye left in the place.

Our next order of business was actual voting. We were told that Hillary had relinquished her pledges and asked people to vote their consciences. We all got in line to receive our ballots and then learned that Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz....our Debbie....member of my Weston Democratic Club and Weston resident.....would be placing the name of Barack Obama in nomination this afternoon. I was totally blown away, and exceedingly proud of Debbie.

Left breakfast on a high and came upstairs to write my thoughts and get the last figures on yesterday's primary. More later.

No comments: